On Wednesday night, we began a 3 week series called “Heaven is For Real”. The series isn’t based on the Christian novel. We just used the title since it’s popular right now.
As a result of preparing for this series, and also for part of our middle school class on Sunday morning, I’ve been spending some extra time studying the book of Revelation.
I’ll be honest…It’s one of those intimidating books of the Bible to me. I group it together with Isaiah, Daniel and Ezekiel. But I like a challenge. And even though I may be a little intimidated, I am fascinated by these books.
As I’ve been studying the book of Revelation this week, something stood out to me that I had never noticed before. The book of Revelation doesn’t mention the name “Jesus” a whole lot. In fact, only one time. In the first verse of the book.
Notice that I said it’s the only time the name “Jesus” is mentioned. Because Revelation is all about Him. In fact, He’s referred to by 35 other names. And they are fascinating. Here’s a list of them:
- Faithful Witness - Revelation 1:5
- First Begotten of the Dead - Revelation 1:5
- Prince of the Kings of the Earth - Revelation 1:5
- Alpha and Omega - Revelation 1:8-13
- First and Last - Revelation 1:8, 11, 13
- Son of Man - Revelation 1;13
- He that liveth and was dead - Revelation 1:13, 18
- He that holdeth the seven stars - Revelation 2:1
- He who walketh midst the golden candlesticks - Revelation 2:1
- He who hath the sharp sword with two edges - Revelation 2:12
- Son of God - Revelation 2:18
- He which searches the reins and hearts - Revelation 2:23
- He that hath the seven Spirits of God - Revelation 3: 1
- He that hath the seven stars - Revelation 3:1
- He that is holy and true - Revelation 3:7
- He that hath the key of David - Revelation 3:7
- He that openeth and no man shutteth - Revelation 3:7
- He that shutteth and no man openeth - Revelation 3:7
- The Amen - Revelation 3:14
- The faithful and true witness - Revelation 3:14
- The beginning of the creation of God - Revelation 3:14
- Lord - Revelation 4:11
- Lion of the tribe of Judah - Revelation 5:5,9
- The root of David - Revelation 5: 5,9
- A lamb as it had been slain - Revelation 5: 6,7
- The Lamb - Revelation 5: 8,9
- Lord of Lords - Revelation 17:14
- King of Kings - Revelation 17:14
- Faithful and true - Revelation 19:11
- Rider of the white horse Revelation 19:11
- The Word of God - Revelation 19: 13-16
- Christ - Revelation 20: 4
- The Lord God of the Holy Prophets - Revelation 22:6
- Beginning and the end - Revelation 22:13
- The bright and morning star - Revelation 22:16
This is Jesus. This is who we serve.
He wasn’t just a name. He is the Name above all names.
He wasn’t just a man. He is the King of kings.
He didn’t just die on a cross. He was the Lamb of God who would take away the sins of the world.
We may call Him Jesus. But in Heaven, He’s known for so much more.
I hope this list brings you to your knees.
This is our Savior. And He loves us more than we will ever know.